Visual Studio Download and Configuration
This video shows which visual studio modules are used in this project, briefly discusses offline installation, discusses the layout of the Interactive Development Environment (IDE) and quickly walks through creating a C# Windows Forms App.
Installing Visual Studio 2017 Professional
This project was developed using VS 2017 Professional, but other visual studio versions are similar. Because the VS platform is so extensive, Microsoft allows you to only install the modules (Workloads) that are relevant to the projects you are developing. Additionally, they use a web installer enabling the size of the installation files to be proportional to the number of modules needed. The drawback is if you are trying to install on a machine that does not have internet connection (See: Offline Installation).
The workloads used:
- .Net desktop development (include all Recommended)
- Desktop development with C++ (include all Recommended and Optional)
Link to Microsoft Visual Studio Docs tutorial:
1. Commands for building off-line installation using “Developer Command Prompt for VS”:
vs_professional.exe ^ --layout C:\vs2017layout3 ^ --lang en-US ^ --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NativeDesktop;includeRecommended;includeOptional ^ --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.ManagedDesktop;includeRecommended;
2. Once offline cache is created and loaded on to the machine that it is to be installed on, you may have to install the security certificates by: opening the cache directory (c:\vs2017layout3 in this example), open each “certificates_x” folder, right click each certificate file, click “install certificate” and follow/complete the install wizard. Here is a link to a forum where I was able to get the lingo: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e7f99cd3-7f9c-41e4-a090-77a3c67e6068/visual-studio-2017-installation-error-quotthe-installer-manifest-failed-signature?forum=vssetup
3. Commands for running off-line installer using “Developer Command Prompt for VS”: (you may have to run the cmd prompt as an administrator)
C:\vs2017layout3\vs_professional.exe ^ --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NativeDesktop;includeRecommended;includeOptional ^ --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.ManagedDesktop;includeRecommended;